Friday, June 29, 2007

Synergy or Weakest Link

As we come together in a shared virtual space, I wonder if our collective intelligence is greater than the sum of its parts or whether it disintegrates to the lowest common denominator?? As I reflect on the evolution of the web and its social spaces, I am disturbed in some ways how this medium gives equal authority to all voices without credentials or identity. While, without question, opinions belong to each of us, we are not all equally versed in the various aspects of human knowledge and thinking. How then can we believe what we read on Wikipedia? -- yet many seem to look to it as a reliable reference source. While I think it would tend to self-correct over time, at any instant a Wikipedia entry may be full of rumors and misinterpretations that would be perpetuated in the thinking of its users.

I am a firm believer in the value of discussion to solidify one's understanding and as a springboard to a higher level of thinking. Thus, I like the notion of being able to converse asynchronously (in a virtual discussion group or forum). I am not sure I am so enamored yet of blogging. While I enjoy vicariously sharing experiences (e.g., travel, life challenges etc) this way, it seems to me that blogging can become a cyber-soapbox where someone can rant without challenge.

That said, I would like to add that I have enjoyed the opportunity to explore 23-things this summer. It reminds me of how much I enjoy learning new things and how much I really do enjoy reflective practice. It amazes me how quickly time flies when I am immersed in writing.

1 comment:

Jim said...

"As we come together in a shared virtual space, I wonder if our collective intelligence is greater than the sum of its parts or whether it disintegrates to the lowest common denominator??"

I discussed this briefly with Jessica ("Living and Learning") and she pointed out that this has always been the case ... only now it happens faster (and, I would add, more extensively). I use Wikipedia for a cultural reference, but if I want reliable data, I turn to material that is published in peer-reviewed outlets (I'm especially fond of textbooks). However, I, too, fear that the majority of people reading and learning from the web may be feedng an ever-increasing pool of mediocrity. We don't know how to program our VCR, but TiVo will make sure that we don't miss those critical sitcoms and dramas.

Yes, everyone's got a soapbox and every voice is theoretically equal ... but thanks to Technorati (et. al.), the most popular and widely read / viewed will eventually bubble up to the top. It took nearly thirty years for TV to live up to its prediction of a cultural wasteland and yet it's only taken five years for the Internet to reach the same level and beyond (below?).

Oh, woe is us ...

PS: Have you bought your new iPhone yet?